Gifted and Talented
Harmony Public Schools is committed to implementing a program that meets the unique social, emotional,and intellectual needs of gifted and talented students through the collaboration of students, educators,parents and community members that ensures opportunities for maximum growth and development for lifelong success.
Definition of Giftedness
“Gifted and talented student” means a child or youth who performs at or shows the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment and who:
- exhibits high performance capability in an intellectual, creative, or artistic area;
- possesses an unusual capacity for leadership; or
- excels in a specific academic field. (Texas Education Code 29.121)
The primary goal of HPS GATE Program is providing students with a student-focused approach to meet specific needs in a selected academic/non-academic curriculum. The gifted student will
- develop a realistic concept of self and work cooperatively with peers and adults.
- develop the higher level thinking skills of knowledge comprehension, synthesis, application, analysis, and evaluation in order to solve problems.
- create original projects that reflect critical and creative thinking skills as supplemental learning to the regular classroom curriculum.